England overcome frightful conditions to record narrow win over Scotland in Edinburgh

Scotland v England - Guinness Six Nations

Scotland welcomed a wounded England side to Murrayfield for their Six Nations clash on a bracingly cold afternoon in Edinburgh.

England were still smarting from their dire first-half performance against France, that allowed their cross-channel rivals to kill the game off before the break.

Scotland, on the other hand, were coming off the back of a loss of their own after narrowly missing out in an attritional battle with Ireland.

With the Calcutta Cup up for grabs, both teams were desperate to right the ship and get their Six Nations' campaigns back on track.

Right from the off the fierce whipping winds of Storm Ciara wreaked havoc on the tie making the high ball an absolute nightmare while place kicking was nigh on impossible.

Any kind of scoring was proving to be painfully difficult in the frightful conditions as both sides resorted to a kicking game in the hope that the unpredictable wind would swing in their advantage.


There were no less than 36 kicks in the first half as the hammering rain relentlessly beat down.

Unsurprisingly, there were only three points in it at the break with a single Owen Farrell penalty separating the teams.

It was just as brutal in the second stanza as Scotland resorted to jabs in and around the fringes in an attempt to negate the conditions.

They levelled early in the second half through an Adam hastings penalty before the worsening weather once again took centre stage.


In truth, it was a thoroughly entertaining affair, despite it being one of the messiest games of rugby you could ever hope to see.

Neither side truly came to grips with the stormy conditions as kick after kick drifted out on the full.

In the end, it would come down to a 70th minute try as Ellis Genge bludgeoned his way over to give England a valuable lead.

With Scotland desperately chasing the game, England clung on, reclaiming the Calcutta Cup and keeping their Six Nations hopes alive in the process.

Final score: 13-6 

News Now - Sport News