UFC president Dana White seems determined to make sure that as many UFC events go ahead as planned.
In the face of growing fears surrounding the spread of the coronavirus, White has remained stubborn in his desire to make events happen, even if that means hosting them behind closed doors.
UFC Brasilia was held with no fans present last weekend and that could be the case for several upcoming events as well.
The massive battle between superstars Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov is probably the bout fight fans are most concerned for, with the pair having had their previous four fights called off.
However, White has no intention of calling events off, stating recently:
“Unless there’s a total shutdown of the country where people can’t leave their houses and things like that, these fights will happen,” White said.
“We’re gonna move on. These guys will compete. We will find venues, and we will figure this thing out. I mean, the only thing that’s gonna stop us is a complete government shutdown where everyone is confined to their homes.”
Well there you have it.
Despite White’s resounding comments, there are still parts of the UFC calendar that are in doubt so here at GiveMeSport, we’ve decided to list what we currently know about a possibly affected schedule.
Starting with the most recent developments, this is what we know so far:
First UFC London fight shifts to Cage Warriors 113
There will be at least one UFC London fight at Cage Warriors 113 this Friday with John Phillips and Serbia’s Dusko Todorovic’s bout being shifted.
Burns v Woodley never got off the ground
Gilbert Burns, after hoping that he could headline Saturday night against Tyrone Woodley, has confirmed the fight is off.
Original UFC on ESPN+ 29 card in chaos
With the UK banning large gathering and the US restricting travel to the country, the UFC on ESPN+ 29 event has effectively been scrapped.
The organisation has sent out an internal memo looking for volunteers in an attempt to organise a makeshift event.
Edwards v Woodley cancelled
Leon Edwards made the announcement that his huge fight with Tyrone Woodley had been cancelled on Instagram.
Missing out on this fight could prove to be a massive blow for the UFC.
Covington volunteers to fight Woodley
Colby Covington claims he was ready to face Woodley at six days notice.
Burns in the mix as possible
Gilbert Burns, fresh off his first-round TKO victory over Demian Maia, hints that he’s been offered to step in and fight Woodley
Cage Warriors to the rescue?
Cage Warriors president Graham Boylan tells MMA Junkie that he is willing to put “UFC London” fights on his card on Friday. Cage Warriors 113 will go ahead behind closed doors.
“We have been trying to save a couple of the UFC London fights and have them compete at the show as contracted UFC fights on Cage Warriors,” Boylan said. “I’m just trying to help the fighters not miss out on competing. It may or may not happen, as it’s a fast-moving situation and trying to pull all the moving parts together is super tricky.”