Following an announcement earlier in the week to suspend all Basketball England activities until further notice, the league made the decision yesterday to cancel the 2019/20 season indefinitely in response to the coronavirus pandemic.
The decision was reached through consultations with the BBL, WBBL, Basketball Scotland and Basketball Wales, BUCS and the Aoc Sport and follows increased measures issued by the UK government on Monday to combat the spread of the virus.
However, Basketball England said that should the situation and government advice change, they will consider the reinstatement of activities if and where possible.
The league released a statement vowing to continuously monitor the situation and review preparations for the 2020/21 season, with an update to follow no later than 28 April 2020.
The cancellations include Basketball England’s leagues; NBL, affiliated Local Leagues, Jr. NBA, the EABL, WEABL and ABL Finals and the Dynamik National Schools competitions. In addition, England national team activity, talent programmes including Aspire and Basketball England education courses are also cancelled.
Stewart Kellett, CEO at Basketball England, said: “Basketball England is here to serve and protect its members. We know from feedback over the weekend that the basketball community want the governing body to protect people.
“We also know that people want to play and stay involved and are disappointed with the cancellation, but we have to do what is right for the greater good of the country, to help stop the spread of the virus. We are very grateful for support on this matter.
“Basketball England will provide advice and support to clubs and our members that need it.”
- Motorsport mourns Indiana Muñoz after horrifying accident
- EURO 2021 set to be rescheduled as UEFA postpones men’s competition until next year
- Natalie Pinkham’s life in the pit lane