Golf chiefs are currently discussing the possibility of playing the Ryder Cup and The Open back-to-back in September amid panic over whether the golf season can be finished.
With the coronavirus showing no sign of slowing down or stopping, The Open has provisionally been moved back to September 17-20.
If this date does turn out to be accurate, that would see the major slot right in between the BMW Championship and the Ryder Cup, which would make for a very exciting September for golf fans.
At the moment, golf chiefs are determined to try and thrash out the rest of the season, on the off chance that the virus does slow down.
This is to try and preserve all four of the majors and the duel between the USA and Europe at Whistling Straits in Wisconsin, known formally as the Ryder Cup.
According to The Sun, golf chiefs have held a series of transatlantic teleconferences and without admitting it publicly, they have accepted that The Open and US Open will have to follow The Masters and USPGA Championship in being postponed.
The Masters’ officials are the ones offering the most flexibility as they have the smallest field of players- under 100- and the most chance of fitting all of the tee times in on an opening day with the conditions being almost perfect.
Masters officials were originally looking at October 8-11 as an alternative date but would be prepared to move to November 12-15.
The US Open is currently set for June 18-21, but could slot into the October date if the Masters’ officials choose to move to November.
There are some downsides for the US Open in regards to the move to the October date, as the venue for the event would most likely have to be moved to the West coast of USA.
Although the move of venue could be a downside for fans who were hoping to make the event as a local, for global fans who were just wanting to watch it through a TV this is most likely great news.
This is because two of the courses that are currently on standby are the likes of Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach, two of the best courses and arguably hardest courses in the world.
US Open official Craig Annis confirmed that there was a lot of swapping and changing going on behind the scenes when it came to new dates.
He said: “At this point we are not in a position to confirm any specific dates. While we are hopeful that we will be able to conduct the US Open at Winged Foot Golf Club in June, it is increasingly likely that we will need to postpone.”
Annis also went on to say: “Depending on how far out we might have to go it could mean a new location.”News Now - Sport News