Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo? 51% of fans think the Portuguese star is better

Real Madrid v Barcelona - La Liga

We are lucky to have lived in the same generation as Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi.

Over the past 15 years, the two players have lit up world football.

They have won 11 Ballon d'Or titles between them. The two were locked at five-a-piece until Messi won his sixth just a few months ago.

In terms of professional goals scored, they have combined for 1,449.

And in terms of major honours, both for club and country, they have combined for 64 trophies.

Quite simply, they are two of the greatest players of all-time.

But who has been the better player over the course of their careers? Naturally, throughout the last 15 years, the two players have been compared. 

To try and settle the debate, GIVEMESPORT asked our viewers on our facebook page who they thought was the better player, with 307k people getting involved.

We were expecting it to be close, but in the end Ronaldo won the poll by the slightest of margins.

51% voted for Ronaldo, while the other 49% went with Messi.

Debate settled? 

Of course, the two players have both been incredible over the past 15 years and it's been a real joy to watch them both battle for the title of the world's best player.

Whether you are a fan of one or the other, Kaka put it best when discussing the two earlier this week.

"We are really lucky to watch them battle over the past 10 years and we are still watching them," he said on Instagram live.

FBL-ESP-LIGA-BARCELONA-REAL MADRID

"I think Ronaldo needs to be thankful for Messi and Messi needs to be thankful for Ronaldo.

"They push each other to keep improving and want something more.

"I think Messi is a genius. The way he plays, the talent, it's amazing. Just unbelievable.

“Cristiano is a machine. It’s not just the way he’s strong, powerful and fast; he’s strong mentally.

Hellas Verona v Juventus - Serie A

“He always wants to win and play. To be the best. For me, that’s the most incredible thing he has.

“In the history of sport, they [Messi and Cristiano] are definitely in the top five. We are very lucky to have been able to see both of them.”

Kaka isn't wrong. With both now well into their thirties, both of their careers are coming to a close.

Let's just appreciate them both while they are still playing the beautiful game.

News Now - Sport News