Following confirmation that UFC owner Dana White wants to hire a private island for future events and pay-per-views, the outspoken UFC fighter Colby Covington has challenged ‘The Chosen One’ and former number one welterweight Tyron Woodley to a fight.
An interim lightweight title bout between Tony Ferguson and Justin Gaethje had already been announced as the main event for UFC 249 next weekend following lightweight champion Khabib Nurmagomedov’s return to Russia, but that has since been scrapped as the event has been postponed.
But it seems White won't let that throw his plans into the bin. He wants to continue hosting PPV events despite the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, and he's willing to host them on private islands.
With UFC struggling to put future fight cards together, Covington has offered to step in to face Woodley.
Speaking to MMAfighting.com, Colby ‘Chaos’ Covington said: “This fight is multiple years in the making. This fight is beyond personal. There is serious beef between Tyron Woodley and me and it needs to be settled.
“The only way it is going to be settled is on Dana White’s fight island. He’s going to be dead and they can just throw his dead body to the sharks.”
The two former American Top Team training partners have been in an ongoing heated feud for years, but for various reasons a fight between the pair has never happened.
Following the cancellation of UFC London, where Woodley was due to face Leon Edwards, the long-time rivals have been avidly campaigning on social media for a fight.
Covington said: “The thing is that I have been running down Tyron Woodley for so many years now.
"We have trained together in the gym, so he knows how good I am and knows that he cannot stop me.”
The American fighter known as ‘Chaos’ has also expressed an interest in a rematch with current welterweight champion Kamaru Usman, where in the main event of UFC 245, Covington was defeated via strikes with less than 60 seconds of the fight remaining.
After securing the usage of a private island, UFC president Dana White claimed: “We are getting the infrastructure put in now, so I’m gonna start doing the international fights, too.
“So as of April 18, UFC is back up and running.”
- UFC release promo for Ferguson vs Gaethje
- McGregor deletes hateful tweet about Khabib
- White has found a venue for UFC 249