Anthony Joshua has called Deontay Wilder a ‘b***h’ and claims he is ‘more of a man’ than the Bronze Bomber.
Following his shock defeat to the Andy Ruiz Jr last year, when he was dropped four times and stopped in the seventh by the Mexican underdog at Madison Square Garden in New York City, Joshua was told by Wilder that he was not a ‘true champion’ and that his ‘whole career consisted of lies, contradictions and gifts’.
The British heavyweight reclaimed his titles by beating Ruiz in their rematch later that year in Saudi Arabia. Wilder, meanwhile, lost his WBC heavyweight title and suffered the first loss of his career as he was beaten by Tyson Fury in February.
Wilder has exercised an immediate rematch clause and will face Fury for a third time, hopefully by the end of this year. After his concerning loss, the ‘Bronze Bomber’s’ immediate reaction was to indicate that his ring-walk outfit was too heavy, weakening his legs prior to the opening bell.
In the wake of Wilder’s defeat, Joshua explained that he was ready to exchange a few verbal shots at his division rival, but then remembered that wasn’t his style as he refuses to kick a man whilst he’s down.
“Oh yeah, oh yeah. I went into my drawer and pulled out my long list of things to say, I’ve got a lot of things to say about Wilder. But you don’t knock a man when he’s down, also. And that was at the top of the list. I have to stand by those principles,” Joshua told the SI Boxing Podcast with Chris Mannix, as per Boxing Scene.
But for sure, I think me and Wilder, as I say, are cut from a different cloth. He’s what we call… it begins with a ‘b’ and ends with a ‘h’. I’m not like that, I’m more of a man.
“I don’t really get on the internet talking crap. The only times you’ve seen me talking recklessly is against Dillian Whyte and Jarrell Miller. Other than that I’m an ambassador of the sport. I’m trying to be clean, representing my sponsorships, represent DAZN properly, I try to stay away from the typical stereotype of a heavyweight boxer.
“It’s difficult, but I have it in me to fire up and talk recklessly when needed.”
Both fighters have scheduled fights for this year, with Joshua’s heavyweight title defence against Kubrat Pulev having already been postponed from the scheduled June 20 following the coronavirus pandemic.
Wilder’s plans for a trilogy bout with Fury looks to be moved also from its original July 25 date, potentially later in the year.
- Eddie Hearn’s post-coronavirus plans
- Joshua issues ‘come fight me’ challenge to Fury
- Fury responds to Wilder’s claims he isn’t a champion