An anonymous WWE employee has told local authorities that they feel ‘forced to work’ during the coronavirus outbreak.
‘John’ – likely for ‘John Doe’ – submitted public comments at an Orange County (Florida) Board of County Commissioners meeting, speaking out against the ongoing tapings.
Local Florida reporter Jon Alba shared a video from Tuesday’s meeting, which included the following statement from ‘John’:
“My employer World Wrestling Entertainment – AKA WWE – is forcing me to work the TV tapings for its weekly shows despite home orders for coronavirus.
“I am unable to speak out because I need this job and I know I will be fired if I approach my higher-ups.
“Despite sanitary precautions, we cannot maintain social distancing and have to touch other people.
“I request the government to shut down these tapings and enforce the stay at home order so my colleagues and I mat to follow social distancing rules without fear or repercussion of losing our jobs.”
You can see Alba’s tweet and the video below:
WWE has since responded to the comment, denying all allegations. Their statement reads:
“These accusations aren’t true. Employees know they can confidentially go to Human Resources, not the public.
“Notwithstanding the appropriate protocol, no one would be fired if they were uncomfortable with their surroundings. We’ve made accommodations for individuals upon request.”
It has also been previously reported that WWE have told employees they don’t have to work during the pandemic if they didn’t feel comfortable doing so.
All staff were also informed that their decisions would not be held against them in the future.
Amid the COVID-19 crisis, WWE will continue to run weekly shows from their Performance Center in Orlando, after being deemed an ‘essential business’ by the State of Florida.
But it seems there are some unhappy employees within the company right now.
- WWE’s highest-paid stars revealed amid mass cuts
- Mark Henry hopes CM Punk is WWE’s mystery hacker
- Jim Ross says WWE ‘missed’ on Rusev