60% of fans would rather have Frank Lampard in their team over Paul Scholes

England v Iceland

When you think of the best midfielders in Premier League history, two names that immediately spring to mind are Frank Lampard and Paul Scholes.

During their prime they were among the best in the world.

Lampard began his career at West Ham in 1995 and he became a regular at the club a few years later.

But it was at Chelsea were he emerged into a world star.

The English midfielder signed for the Blues in 2001 and he’d go on to have great success at the club across his 13 years.

Scholes had already established himself as regular for Manchester United by the time Lampard made his Premier League debut.

He played for United for 20 years and helped them to 25 major honours.

Both were integral for their club’s success but, when it comes down to it, who would football fans rather have playing in their side?

FA Cup Final: Manchester United v Chelsea

That was a question GiveMeSport asked fans on our Facebook page.

118k people voted and it was Lampard who earned the majority. 

60% of fans said they’d rather have a Lampard in their team, with the remaining 40% giving their backing to Scholes.

UNKNOWN EMBED: pre-embed, pre-facebook

Interesting. Lampard was much more prolific in front of goal than Scholes during his career.

In total, he played 945 times at club level and netted 274 goals.

He also put together one of the best Premier League seasons ever by a midfielder, scoring 22 times in the 2009/10 season.

The amount of goals he scored from the centre of midfield was ridiculous.

Scholes, on the other hand, was a very different midfielder.

Although he was initially used as an attacking midfielder, as time went by Scholes converted to a more deep-lying role.

He didn’t score as many goals as Lampard – he ‘only’ managed 155 for Manchester United during his career – but he possessed qualities that his England partner lacked.

England v Iceland

Scholes was superior technically. He could spray balls around the football pitch for fun and had the ability to control games single-handedly.

It was that ability that saw him establish himself as an influential figure in a Man United side that dominated English football for two decades.

And that’s ultimately what it comes down to. If you want a goalscoring midfielder, than Lampard was the best in the business.

But if you need a midfielder to control the game, there have been few better in history than Scholes.

Whether you agree with the results of the poll or not, one thing is for certain: both players were incredible during their career and picking between the two is almost an impossible task.

News Now - Sport News