Is there a bigger argument in football than Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo?
Everyone has had their say on the eternal debate. It’s football’s equivalent of Federer vs Nadal or Brady vs Manning.
On the one hand you’ve got Messi, who was born with immense natural ability that has taken him to the very top of the game.
Then there’s Ronaldo, the hardest-working player in the world.
The beauty of their rivalry is that they are very different players, which means it’s easy to choose a preference.
Many players and managers have been asked to choose between the two and former Liverpool and Tottenham striker Peter Crouch rounded up a group of ex-Premier League and current players to get their opinion.
Alan Shearer, John Barnes, Steven Gerrard, Harry Maguire, Paul Scholes and Andrew Robertson were among those quizzed by Crouch.
The majority opted for the Argentinian…
So, of the 13 people involved only three opted for Ronaldo. And one of those - Paul Scholes - felt he had to due to his allegiance to Manchester United.
Here’s the full breakdown of votes:
- Alan Shearer: Lionel Messi
- John Barnes: Lionel Messi
- Andrew Cole: Lionel Messi
- Harry Maguire: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Tony Adams: Lionel Messi
- Steve McManaman: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Robbie Keane: Lionel Messi
- Jermain Defoe: Lionel Messi
- Paul Scholes: Cristiano Ronaldo
- Steve Bruce: Lionel Messi
- James Milner: Lionel Messi
- Andrew Robertson: Lionel Messi
- Steven Gerrard: Lionel Messi
It seems like most people in football choose Messi over Ronaldo.
Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp recently admitted he's also Team Messi, but he acknowledged Ronaldo's brilliance.
“For me Messi, but I couldn't admire Ronaldo more than I do already," Klopp told YouTube channel freekickerz.
"If you could paint yourself a perfect player, it would have Ronaldo's height, he could jump and run as high or quick as Ronaldo can do.
"And on the other side there is the small Messi who makes everything look so simple.
"What both have in common is that both have left their footprints for such a long time."
It's a great way of summing it up.
- Answering 13 huge Messi vs Ronaldo questions
- Mbappe has been copying Ronaldo's celebrations
- Remembering when Messi humiliated Drenthe