New name emerges in Newcastle takeover saga

St James' Park

A new name has been revealed in the long-drawn-out affair of Newcastle's takeover. 

The news was presented on Monday by NY Times journalist Tariq Panja who claimed a further businessman was now involved in the deal. 

According to the American source, documents show how Amanda Staveley has now called on the services of Ali Jassim, one of the key advisors to Manchester City owner Sheikh Mansour.

Jassim is serving as a broker in Saudi Arabia's efforts to buy the Magpies in a reported £300m deal, but only time will tell whether the move does indeed go through. 

It's claimed that the businessman met Staveley while working on the purchase of Man City a number of years ago. 

As it happens, Jassim is also one of her witnesses in the ongoing Barclays lawsuit. 

GIVEMESPORT'S Matt Dawson says...

How many names can you fit into one hat?

Certainly, in this case, a whole host. It was only last week that a new individual was thrown into the mix with American entrepreneur Henry Mauriss rumoured to be interested in taking over the club.

A rival bid would certainly be interesting but PIF's presence isn't going away anytime soon, that's despite the Premier League's continued checks.

The very fact a new face has emerged in the current deal says as much, with Staveley calling on the aid of someone she apparently knows well and trusts to ensure it does actually go through.

Unfortunately for her and Jassim, though, it's up to the top dogs at the Premier League. It would be typical Newcastle if the deal fell through in the coming weeks but if it does get completed, it could be just the spark Steve Bruce's men need towards the end of the season. 

After all, a number of high profile footballers have been linked with a move to St James' Park since the takeover began - Philippe Coutinho and Kai Havertz are two of the biggest.

News Now - Sport News