Everton 0-0 Liverpool: Jurgen Klopp's men survive late scare in poor goalless draw

  • Kobe Tong

Liverpool laboured to a 0-0 draw against Everton in a game they came inches away from losing.

It was a huge moment for Liverpool after overcoming an unprecedented three-month pause upon their chase for a first league crown in 30 years because of the coronavirus pandemic.

But sadly for the Reds, Manchester City's win over Arsenal made securing the title at the home of their rivals impossible, but victory at Goodison Park would still take them within a single win of the accolade.

In truth, however, there wasn't much to write home about during an incredibly quiet first-half and one that reminded everybody watching why the last two derbies at Goodison have both finished goalless.

The first save of the fixture was actually forced upon Alisson Becker, while Liverpool came closest through Roberto Firmino firing wide and Trent Alexander-Arnold's tame, albeit on target, free-kick.

Everton 0-0 Liverpool

It was telling that arguably the biggest talking point of the opening exchanges was the fact Sadio Mane made the honest mistake of forgetting to take a knee for Black Lives Matter by sprinting down the left wing.

Oh, and the fact referee Mike Dean gave football fans a smile by sporting a Santa Claus-esque lockdown beard.

With the scores locked at 0-0 during the interval, Jurgen Klopp decided to roll the dice by introducing Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the place of the quiet Takumi Minamino.


Liverpool chasing the title

Liverpool came out for the second-half with a greater impetus, determined not to drop league points for just the third time all season, testing the waters with Virgil van Dijk's header straight at Jordan Pickford.

Arguably the first big chance of the match actually came from Everton on the hour mark, though Richarlison embarrassingly fired into row Z despite breaking behind the Liverpool back four.

But they came even closer with less than 10 minutes on the lock with Dominic Calvert-Lewin forcing a smart save from Alisson, before Tom Davies almost won the game by striking the post.

Calvert-Lewin then came a matter of inches away from scoring with a diving header from the resulting corner and Richarlison popped up again to keep Alisson's gloves warm.

Substitute Dejan Lovren looked all over the shop during the late exchanges on Merseyside and there was a real feeling that Liverpool were the lucky ones when they made it to full-time.

When the Reds play next time out against Crystal Palace on Wednesday night, there's no guarantee that a victory would secure them a title that's arrival is merely a question of when, not if.

News Now - Sport News