Steve Bruce delighted with latest Newcastle move

p1ebokvq79vlj16i01l8a1j211e4j9.jpg

Newcastle United took steps to tie down some of their squad players earlier this week.

The club’s official Twitter account announced on Thursday that they had handed new deals to both Andy Carroll and Javier Manquillo.

The former Liverpool striker has signed a one-year deal, while Manquillo has committed himself to the club for another four years.

The right-back moved to Newcastle in 2017, signing for the club from Atletico Madrid for an undisclosed fee.

Manquillo has since made 61 appearances for the Magpies, providing five assists in that time, with 15 of those coming in the Premier League this season.

This season, he has made 13 starts, and manager Steve Bruce has expressed his delight at tying the former Liverpool and Sunderland man down for another four years.

Per the club’s official Twitter account, he said: “He’s been terrific since I’ve walked through the door.

p1ebol9po51jj71no1ehq13hemj1f.jpg

“He’s been consistent and done very well. He’s got competition in (Emil) Krafth and (DeAndre) Yedlin but he’s grasped the opportunity so I’m delighted he’s signed his contract.”

Manquillo has played 90 minutes in both of the club’s games after the resumption of proceedings against Sheffield United and Aston Villa.

GIVEMESPORT’S Harry Sherlock says…

Manquillo is a versatile presence.

He can play at right-back or on the right of midfield, and has been excellent under Bruce thus far this season.

He has played 15 times in the Premier League and has clearly not complained when he has not been used.

Indeed, across a recent six-game spell, he was not included in the club’s matchday squad, yet he has now committed his future to the St James’ Park side.

Players who are willing to play any role under their manager are like gold dust; Manquillo is exactly that.

News Now - Sport News