Providing Newcastle's takeover isn't announced over the weekend, talks will have been ongoing for 11 weeks.
It's rather baffling that we're still sat here waiting for things to be formally completed, but the Premier League have made it all rather confusing.
Mohammed Bin Salman and PIF have been required to pass the Premier League's owner's and director's test, but because of piracy in Saudi Arabia, the deal has been held up.
Few would have thought that once football returned following the peak of Covid-19 that Mike Ashley would still be in charge.
However, his grip over the Magpies is still strong with the transfer window soon opening.
Alan Nixon claimed on Friday that the division's officials have made a very specific request to Saudi Arabia.
That involves the signing of a TV deal. If they do that, then PIF could well walk through the doors of St James' Park.
However, the takeover has now been thrown into fresh doubt by Hatice Cengiz.
The fiancée of murdered journalist Jamal Khashoggi has written to the Premier League to oppose the takeover and reportedly, is now confident that they will indeed reject PIF's advances.
Cengiz has previously made a number of public appeals for the Premier League to block the takeover and unfortunately for the Toon Army, she remains convinced they will have to block the deal.
That's based on the Premier League's own rules.
After news emerging in recent days that put the deal in a positive light, this is another kick in the teeth.
GIVEMESPORT'S Matt Dawson says...
Last week we were hoping that the World Trade Organisation's report on piracy in Saudi Arabia would reveal more about PIF's plans to buy an 80% stake in the club.
However, they didn't mention a single thing about Newcastle, leading to more questions than answers.
The Athletic's George Caulkin believed earlier this week that a takeover could be on the verge, making claims that would have delighted the Toon Army.
Though, with Cengiz's words in recent days likely to be ringing fresh in the Premier League's ears, everything is far from done.
If the deal does go through, it will cause controversy. It has to given some of the piracy in Saudi Arabia.
That being said, just imagine the carnage on Tyneside if Mike Ashley stays in charge of Newcastle. It's nearly more trouble than it's worth.
- Takeover discussed by the government
- PIF have received feedback from the Premier League
- Premier League make request to Saudi Arabia