Liverpool pulled off a major coup on Friday with the signing of Bayern Munich midfielder Thiago Alcantara.
The Spain international, 29, is one of the best players in the world in his position and further enhanced his reputation by helping Bayern win a historic treble last season.
"There is a lot of reason to get excited," German football journalist Raphael Honigstein told BBC Radio 5 Live's Euro Leagues podcast.
"Liverpool fans should consider themselves very lucky because they are picking up an absolute superstar who could probably play in any team in the world.
"Thiago is in the form of his life. The way he played in the Champions League, combining that skill and elegance with winning balls back. He makes it look effortless."
That Liverpool have managed to sign Thiago for just £20 million (potentially rising to £25 million with add-ons) makes the club’s acquisition all the more impressive.
The bookies expect Thiago to make a major impact at Anfield this season, judging by the latest odds.
SkyBet have immediately put Thiago into their 10 top contenders for the coveted PFA Player of the Year award.
Let’s take a look at all the players priced at 33/1 or under to win the individual accolade at the end of the season…
27. N’Golo Kante | Chelsea (33/1)
26. Jamie Vardy | Leicester City (33/1)
25. Hakim Ziyech | Chelsea (33/1)
24. Gabriel Jesus | Manchester City (33/1)
23. Timo Werner | Chelsea (25/1)
22. Naby Keita | Liverpool (25/1)
21. Marcus Rashford | Manchester United (25/1)
20. Jordan Henderson | Liverpool (25/1)
19. James Rodriguez | Everton (25/1)
18. Bernardo Silva | Manchester City (25/1)
17. Roberto Firmino | Liverpool (22/1)
16. Phil Foden | Manchester City (22/1)
15. Kai Havertz | Chelsea (22/1)
14. Sergio Aguero | Manchester City (20/1)
13. Riyad Mahrez | Manchester City (20/1)
12. Paul Pogba | Manchester United (20/1)
11. Harry Kane | Tottenham (20/1)
10. Christian Pulisic | Chelsea (20/1)
9. Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang | Arsenal (18/1)
8. Virgil van Dijk | Liverpool (16/1)
7. Trent Alexander-Arnold | Liverpool (16/1)
6. Thiago Alcantara | Liverpool (16/1)
5. Sadio Mane | Liverpool (12/1)
4. Mohamed Salah | Liverpool (10/1)
3. Raheem Sterling | Manchester City (9/1)
2. Bruno Fernandes | Manchester United (8/1)
1. Kevin De Bruyne | Manchester City (4/1)
De Bruyne was in scintillating form for City last season, so it’s no shock to see him named as the bookies’ favourite to win the 2020-21 PFA Player of the Year award.
Man Utd’s Bruno Fernandes in second place is a little more surprising. The Red Devils have only strengthened their squad with the signing of Donny van de Beek this summer and aren’t expected to challenge for the Premier League title as things stand.
Thiago as the sixth favourite - ahead of the likes of Aubameyang, Aguero and Kane - shows that most people are expecting the classy midfielder to hit the ground running at Anfield.
He could make his debut against Chelsea on Sunday, although it seems more likely that Jurgen Klopp will hand him his first start against Arsenal on September 28.
Thiago possesses all the tools to flourish in English football - and Liverpool fans will be hoping he plays a leading role in helping the club successfully retain their Premier League crown this season.
- Emotional Diogo Jota video as Wolves fans say goodbye
- Thiago reacts to Liverpool fans' new song for him
- Liverpool's likely starting XI following Thiago's arrival