Leeds give up on Championship ace

p1ekome5s4nai1f1m17bnfv6l3s9.jpg

Leeds United are still preparing for life in the Premier League.

They enjoyed a busy summer as they looked to strengthen Marcelo Bielsa’s squad for their assault on the top-flight.

Rodrigo arrived for a fee of £27m, while Diego Llorente, Raphinha, Helder Costa, and Robin Koch also arrived on permanent deals, along with Illan Meslier. Leeds also secured Jack Harrison on loan, and spent under £1m on Joe Gelhardt from Wigan Athletic.

And it seems that they have given up on a potential summer signing.

That comes after an impressive start to the season in which Leeds have beaten Fulham and Sheffield United, held Manchester City to a draw and lost narrowly to Liverpool.

The domestic window allows players to move from EFL clubs to Premier League sides and shuts on Friday.

p1ekomhjmb72b9gsn7626mia7f.jpg

And Football Insider reports that, while there was interest in snapping up Todd Cantwell prior to the deadline, they have accepted defeat.

Leeds made a £15m bid last month which was rejected by Norwich City but they have remained in contact over a possible deal for the 22-year-old.

The Canaries are said to be confident that Cantwell will stay at the club and Leeds are reluctant to meet his £20m valuation.

p1ekomkksipm41bnp90d1p9k1iskh.jpg

Cantwell had impressed at times in the Premier League, despite Norwich’s relegation, scoring six goals in the top-flight while also registering two assists.

GIVEMESPORT’S Harry Sherlock says…

This makes complete sense for Leeds.

Cantwell is primarily a left winger but both Raphinha and Costa, two summer signings, can play in the role.

Thus, spending £20m on the Norwich man simply doesn’t make all that much sense.

p1ekoml2l5174219la1fkpq9j1ou7j.jpg

There is something to be said for squad depth, of course, but they would simply be too top-heavy if they secured another attacker.

Leaving Cantwell at Carrow Road is the right move.

News Now - Sport News