Newcastle new boy Sylvain Marveaux is hoping his exploits in the Barclays Premier League can win him international recognition with France.
The 25-year-old midfielder completed a Bosman free transfer move to St James' Park from Rennes during the early hours of last Saturday morning after a proposed switch to Liverpool fell through.
Asked if forcing his way into Les Bleus coach Laurent Blanc's plans is an ambition, the player told NUFC TV: "One day, if they call me, of course. But first of all, I have to do great work here to be called. The most important thing now is my new club and my new life. I will do my best to make it."
Marveaux arrived at St James' insisting that reports that he had failed a medical at Liverpool were untrue, and that contractual matters had been to blame for the failure to reach an agreement.
He has been out of action since suffering a groin injury in November, but is adamant he is now fit and ready to resume his career.
He said: "That's the past now, I just want to focus on Newcastle, that's the best thing.
"I have already said that it wasn't about the medical. I am glad it is clear now. I am fit and I can't wait until the start of pre-season."
Marveaux is one of three men to have joined Newcastle since the end of last season, along with compatriot Yohan Cabaye and Senegal striker Demba Ba.
The Magpies are continuing to work towards a deal for Swansea full-back Neil Taylor, while the are maintaining interests in a series of other targets, including Tranquillo Barnetta, Blaise Matuidi and Mevlut Erding.
But with skipper Kevin Nolan having left the club amid fears that the likes of Jose Enrique and Joey Barton could do the same, manager Alan Pardew finds himself having to perform a balancing act as he attempts to strengthen his squad.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms