El-Hadji Diouf's international career appears to be over after the Senegal Football Federation hit him with a five-year ban from all football-related activity in his home country.
The decision, announced in a short statement on the federation's website senegalfoot.sn, came after 30-year-old Diouf reacted angrily to the federation's claims that he had failed to appear for a disciplinary hearing last week.
The committee wanted to ask Diouf about comments he had made on Radio France International, claiming that "the whole system of African football is corrupt". The federation claimed Diouf had been called to a hearing on July 20, but the Blackburn forward insisted he had heard nothing of it, and then told French magazine Stade he would "go to war" with the FSF if they took further action.
The FSF said Diouf is banned "from performing any football-related activity for a period of five years with effect from the date of notification of this decision".
It remains possible, according to the FSF, that the decision could be reversed if Diouf were to appear before the disciplinary committee.
The news comes as Diouf's club career hangs in the balance.
He has been fined by Blackburn for failing to report on time for pre-season training, and was left out for their pre-season tour to Hong Kong.
Manager Steve Kean said in an interview with Sky Sports this week that he thought it was time for Diouf to leave the club, indicating that enquiries have been made by other clubs.
Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms