Last-gasp Horwood stuns Cherries: Match Review

Published Add your comment

Football News

Defender Evan Horwood came off the substitutes bench to lead unbeaten Hartlepool to a dramatic 2-1 win at struggling Bournemouth.

Horwood crashed home the winner just three minutes from time with a fearsome half-volley, which bounced in off the underside of the crossbar.

Horwood's heroics capped a fine comeback by in-form Pools after Nolberto Solano's free-kick had cancelled out Steven Gregory's excellent opener for Bournemouth.

Gregory gave the Cherries the lead eight minutes before half-time in emphatic style, rifling the ball past visiting goalkeeper Scott Flinders from 25 yards.

Solano equalised in the 42nd minute with his second in as many matches, but it was scarcely deserved as Bournemouth had dominated the opening half.

Flinders saved well from Harry Arter after only three minutes before Marc Pugh dragged a shot wide 18 minutes later.

The visitors' best effort before Solano's equaliser was Anthony Sweeney's miscued shot after the ball had fallen luckily into his path.

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

League One
Scott Flinders
Harry Arter
Marc Pugh
Nolberto Solano
Steven Gregory
Evan Horwood

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again