Holloway livid with match officials

Published Add your comment

Football News

Ian Holloway was livid with the match officials over the goal that allowed Coventry a route back into the npower Championship encounter which finished 2-2 at the Ricoh Arena.

The Blackpool boss was attempting to bring on Matt Phillips for injured centre-back Ian Evatt when, with only 10 men on the pitch, Gary Deegan levelled matters at 1-1 from Sammy Clingan's 78th-minute corner.

Holloway was sent to the stands by referee Andy Woolmer for his subsequent protests, which were aimed in particular at fourth official Guy Stretton who he insists had the numbers of Phillips and Evatt ready to go on his board. Holloway said: "The fella (fourth official) was given the card, he put the numbers in the board and the referee allowed the corner to be taken."

He added: "I was saying at the time, you can't do that, it's my centre-half, please get him on. It should have been allowed to be done. So when they scored, ironically where Matt Phillips would have stood, I went 'why didn't you let me put him on!' And then I get sent to the stand."

"The referee is in control of the overall situation, he has told me what he felt was the truth. I've waited (30 minutes after the final whistle) and now I've been told something that, in my opinion, wasn't true. What I was told was not accurate, at all.

"There's only one person to blame in my honest opinion and the person who's on the side (the fourth official) doing his job should have done it. We did our job, my kit man gave him the number and he's already got them on his board, he's now saying that he didn't. I am absolutely sick and devastated because I've been sent to the stand, I promised my wife I never would again."

Lukas Jutkiewicz then fired Coventry into a 2-1 lead with seven minutes remaining, wiping out Gary Taylor-Fletcher's stunning first-half opener. But, on a night of drama, Pool rescued a point in the 91st minute thanks to Keith Southern's header.

However, Sky Blues boss Andy Thorn was also left to bemoan the officials having felt a foul on his goalkeeper Joe Murphy went unpunished which subsequently led to the corner from which Southern headed home.

"The goal was a joke," said Thorn. "Murphy catches the ball and their lad elbows him and knocks the ball out of his hands, it's a blatant foul. But when things don't go for you they don't go for you.

"When you see the goal you just can't believe it's not a free-kick, his raises the elbow right into Murphy, he then drops the ball and then he's stood there looking at him. It's really, really disappointing. But I know the officials' jobs are hard and I haven't got enough money to criticise. We just feel let down. It becomes frustrating."

Copyright (c) PA Sport 2009, All Rights Reserved.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Gary Taylor-Fletcher
Keith Southern
Matt Phillips
Joe Murphy
Lukas Jutkiewicz
Coventry City
Ian Evatt
Sammy Clingan

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again