Jarred Gillett: Premier League referee wore a microphone in last A-League game

Jarred Gillett wore a microphone for his last ever A-League game

Jarred Gillett will make history on Saturday afternoon.

The Australian referee has been put in charge of the Premier League clash between Watford and Newcastle at Vicarage Road.

He will become the first overseas official in Premier League history.

The 34-year-old officiated his first A-League match back in the 2010/11 season.

Despite being so young, Gillett quickly established himself as one of the very best referees in Australia.

He left the league for England in 2019 after taking a job at John Moores University in Liverpool. 



His last ever game as an official in Australia was a match between Melbourne Victory and Brisbane Roar.

The match was an entertaining affair with Melbourne Victory winning 2-1. It was even more was fascinating because Gillett wore a microphone.

Gillett could be heard speaking to players and explaining all of his decisions.

His conversations with other officials and the VAR team could also be heard.

The footage makes for fascinating viewing and you can watch it below:

The Premier League needs to put microphones on referees.

It gives a fascinating insight to the game and gives viewers a better understanding on how officials come to their decisions.

Gillett came across as a very competent referee who explained his decisions quickly and effectively.

How Thomas Tuchel OUTCLASSED Nuno! Full tactical analysis on The Football Terrace...

He had the respect of the players, emphasised by one of them calling him 'the best' during the game and another wishing him all the best for the future after the final whistle blew.

Gillett went on to earn a promotion to the Premier League after just one season in the Championship.

He's clearly a talented referee and he could soon establish himself as one of the best in England.

1 of 30

How many of Salah's PL goals were scored at Chelsea?

News Now - Sport News