The Portuguese superstar has enjoyed unparalleled success in the European competition, winning it five times and scoring more goals than any other player.
He is well and truly Mr. Champions League.
And when he started for United at Old Trafford, Ronaldo set another record for most appearances in the tournament’s history.
Entering the game, the 36-year-old was tied with Real Madrid icon Iker Casillas with 177 games.
But now the record belongs to Ronaldo and Ronaldo only.
Here’s how the top 10 looks now.
1. Cristiano Ronaldo | 178 appearances
2. Iker Casillas | 177 appearances
3. Xavi | 151 appearances
=3. Lionel Messi | 151 appearances
5. Raul | 142 appearances
6. Ryan Giggs | 141 appearances
7. Karim Benzema | 132 appearances
8. Andres Iniesta | 130 appearances
9. Sergio Ramos | 129 appearances
10. Clarence Seedorf | 125 appearances
=10. Thomas Muller | 125 appearances
Champions League Highlights & Reaction Show | Football Terrace
It’s a testament to Ronaldo’s endurance and quality that he’s been able to reach 178 games.
His first appearance in the Champions League came 18 years ago, when, at the age of 18, he earned a penalty in Manchester United’s 2-1 defeat to Stuttgart on October 1, 2003.
Since then he’s made the tournament his own, breaking numerous records and enjoying many great moments.
With help from UEFA, we’ve decided to take a look at all of the other Champions League records that the former Real Madrid and Juventus star owns.
1. Most UEFA Champions League goals: 135
2. Most goals in a UEFA Champions League season: 17 (2013/14)
3. Most goals in UEFA Champions League knockout stages: 67
4. Most UEFA Champions League final wins: 5
5. Only player to score in three UEFA Champions League finals
6. Only player to score in all six games in a UEFA Champions League group
7. Only player to score in 11 straight UEFA Champions League games
8. Only player to score 10 goals against a single club in the UEFA Champions League: vs Juventus
Mr. Champions. League.