The UFC veteran was expected to be returning to the octagon to face Strickland, but that contest has now been put on hold.
Here is the latest on Rockhold and why he will not be able to face Strickland at UFC 268 from Madison Square Garden on Saturday November 6th 2021.
The 36-year-old MMA veteran Rockhold last fought back at UFC 239 in July of 2019. Rockhold saw himself on the end of a devastating knockout loss at the hands of the current 205-pound champion in the company, Jan Blachowicz.
Rockhold wrote the following on his Instagram story regarding this injury and why he is no longer able to compete in New York:
“There’s no easy way to really say it, but the fight is off in New York. I ended up herniating a disc in my back. L4, L5. The docs say it’s nothing I can play with. I need to do some treatment and recovery time.
“Some things just aren’t meant to be. New York, motherf**king New York. I’m sorry to the friends and the peeps and everyone, but we’ll be back. Until next time.”
Has The UFC 268 Card Changed?
No replacement for Strickland has been confirmed, although the company will likely be announcing a new opponent for the fighter in the coming weeks.
There is also no note on when Rockhold may be returning to the octagon, if ever.
Here is the current card for UFC 268:
- UFC Welterweight Title - Kamaru Usman (c) vs Colby Covington
- Women's Strawweight Title - Rose Namajunas (c) vs. Weili Zhang
- Justin Gaethje vs. Michael Chandler
- Frankie Edgar vs. Marlon Vera
- Sean Strickland vs. TBC
- Irene Aldana vs. Unknown Fighter
- Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Nassourdine Imavov
- Shane Burgos vs. Billy Quarantillo
- Al Iaquinta vs. Bobby Green
- Aleksa Camur vs. John Allan
- Alexsandro Pereira vs. Andreas Michailidis
- Melsik Baghdasaryan vs. T.J. Laramie
- Ian Garry vs. Jordan Williams
You can find all of the latest UFC and MMA news right here at GiveMeSportNews Now - Sport News