Newcastle latest news: Fresh relegation claim emerges after confirmed major deal

The takeover sparked wild scenes outside Newcastle United's St James' Park

Newcastle United's new owners will splash the cash to ensure they do not suffer relegation, according to journalist Tom Barclay.

What's the latest news following Newcastle's takeover?

A takeover worth £305million was completed last week, with the Public Investment Fund providing 80 per cent of the funds.

The deal has led to Amnesty International writing to Premier League chief executive Richard Masters requesting an urgent meeting.

Boss Steve Bruce's future at St James' Park remains unclear despite meeting new part-owner Amanda Staveley at the club's training ground on Monday.

Reports suggest Frank Lampard or former Borussia Dortmund chief Lucien Favre could be appointed as Bruce's successor should the hierarchy opt to make a managerial change.

It also appears the Magpies could be busy when the transfer window reopens in January as German newspaper Bild, via the Sun, claims Chelsea striker Timo Werner is among a host of targets.

Enter Giveaway

Enter Giveaway

Burnley central defender James Tarkowski is reportedly expected to become one of the first signings of the new regime, while Manchester United's Jesse Lingard has also been linked.

Lingard is not the only United ace on Newcastle's radar as Anthony Martial, Donny van de Beek and Eric Bailly are also thought to be of interest.

What has Tom Barclay said about Newcastle's future?

Barclay believes Newcastle's new owners will be willing to spend big during the January transfer window.

Newcastle's new owners could spend £200m without breaching FFP! Hear how on The Football Terrace...

The Magpies now have the wealthiest owners in world football, with their fortune being over 10 times more than Manchester City's billionaire backers and almost 50 times greater than Paris Saint-Germain owner Nasser Al-Khelaifi.

Barclay reckons it is likely for there to be plenty of changes to the Tyneside club's squad in a bid to ensure they do not suffer the embarrassment of relegation merely months after a change in ownership.

The journalist told GIVEMESPORT: "Newcastle are definitely a relegation candidate.

"You'd imagine that they will spend their way out of it in January if Steve Bruce goes."

1 of 15
p1f4find4v189hqviaoam1nt2n3.jpg

Which club did Newcastle sign Callum Wilson from?

How have Newcastle performed this season?

Newcastle's new owners have come in with the club in the midst of a relegation battle. Only newly-promoted Norwich City have a worse record after the first seven matches of the Premier League season.

The Magpies are still seeking their first victory of the campaign and were eliminated from the Carabao Cup in the second round.

Newcastle's struggles come after making just one senior signing during the summer transfer window, with Joe Willock joining from Arsenal for in excess of £20million.

News Now - Sport News