Journalist Chris Waugh reckons that it was an “uncomfortable” first week for the Newcastle owners.
What happened in the first week?
Following the takeover being announced, Steve Bruce was set to be sacked and therefore not take charge of the Tottenham game on Sunday.
However, a little more than 48 hours before the Magpies hosted Nuno Espirito Santo’s side at St James’ Park, the 60-year-old was confirmed to be in the dugout for the Spurs game and would therefore be given the chance to celebrate his 1000th game in management.
But Bruce appeared to be left in the dark over his future and it still isn’t clear whether he’ll be the manage for the trip to Crystal Palace this weekend or moving forward generally.
Newcastle lost that game to extend their winless start to the season to eight matches and therefore remain in the relegation-zone, leading to further questions about Bruce’s position.
Read More – January Transfer Window 2022: When does it open, when does it close and which players are going to move?
Even after the takeover had been confirmed, Bruce told the Telegraph that he wants to continue managing the club but feared he would be sacked following their wretched start to the season.
Meanwhile, Gary Neville slammed the new regime for their treatment of his former Manchester United teammate and said that it would have been classed as “employment abuse” had it happened in another industry.
Arsenal were SHOCKING! Full reaction on The Football Terrace as they score late to draw with Crystal Palace…
Furthermore, Waugh admitted that the situation should have been dealt with earlier.
What did Waugh say?
He told GIVEMESPORT: “Newcastle need to start winning football matches, they’ve won seven of their last 38 games in all competitions, they’ve conceded the greatest number of goals in the Premier League.
“So, it’s been an uncomfortable end to the first week of Newcastle’s takeover. It feels like they’ve stumbled over their own two feet this week.
“There really should have been a decision earlier this week with Bruce.”
What could the owners have done differently?
In simple terms, Bruce should have been informed about his future immediately and perhaps not on a game-to-game basis.
If the new owners don’t see him as part of the long-term plan, then he should have been sacked and left in the past.
But right now, it almost feels like Bruce is being strung along on a day-to-day basis and even himself doesn’t know when the call might come to tell him to collect his belongings.
Bruce hasn’t been perfect as Newcastle manager and clearly isn’t a popular figure with the St James’ Park faithful, but his situation could have been dealt with in a far more professional manner.