England striker Wayne Rooney will discover if his three-match ban, which could see him miss the entire group stage of Euro 2012, will be reduced on December 9th.
The Football Association confirmed last week they would be appealing against the ban, which Rooney received after he kicked out at Montenegrin Miodrag Dzudovic during England's final European Championship qualifier last month.
While the suspension length could be reduced upon appeal, the FA are risking the ban being extended if UEFA deem the appeal to be frivolous.
"The Uefa appeals body will deal with the case of England striker Wayne Rooney on Friday, 9 December, at Uefa's headquarters in Nyon," said a Uefa spokesperson.
"This follows Uefa's receipt on Friday, 4 November, of the official written appeal from the English Football Association against the three-match suspension given to Rooney by the Uefa control and disciplinary body on 13 October."
Rooney said: "It would be a bonus if it was cut by one game."
"Obviously, it's devastating for me, but it's something that's my own fault, so I can't really complain. It was stupid by me – I regretted it as soon as I did it. But I still feel the punishment is a bit harsh."
The ban has put Rooney's place in Fabio Capello's squad for next summer's finals in jeopardy, with the Italian refusing to select him for either of the friendlies against Spain or Sweden, instead opting to use the games as a dress rehearsal for potential replacements Darren Bent and Bobby Zamora.
The hearing will take place just 24 hours before Rooney is due to appear for United against Wolverhampton Wanderers in the Barclays Premier League at Old Trafford, calling into question whether he'll be able to attend.News Now - Sport News