Andre Villas Boas appears ready to begin the winter clearout of his Chelsea squad by showing six ageing superstars the door when the transfer window opens next month.
Villas-Boas was charged with overhauling Chelsea’s ageing squad when he arrived from Porto over the summer, and while he has already bought in youngsters Oriol Romeu and Romelu Lukaku he now appears ready to begin the next stage of the revamp by selling off six senior players.
The Daily Mail reports that Didier Drogba heads the list of six heading for the exit, with the Ivorian joined by Salomon Kalou, Jose Bosingwa and Paulo Ferreira who will join Nicolas Anelka and Alex, who have already been transfer listed.
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp showed an interest in bringing Drogba to White Hart Lane on Friday, although the 33-year-old’s agent has already insisted he would go to the highest bidder, seemingly ruling out a move to Spurs because of their wage cap of around £70,000, while bringing a move to the Middle East into the equation.
Anelka looks set to complete a lucrative move to China with Shanghai Shenhua having been forced to train alongside Alex with the reserves, while Arsenal have previously shown an interest in Kalou - who was on the scoresheet along with Drogba against Newcastle on Saturday - and may come in for him once more.
Both Drogba and Kalou are out of contract at the end of the season and are free to discuss offers and sign a pre-contract with a foreign club in January.
Alex is said to be attracted interest from Juventus, while Bosingwa has been eying up a move to Spain.
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich is said to be willing to back Villas-Boas in the transfer market this January as part of the overhaul of Chelsea’s squad, with Gary Cahill, Alvaro Pereira, Diego Godin and Milos Krasic all on the radar of the Portuguese boss.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms