The agent of Bologna playmaker Gaston Ramirez insists there has been no contact with Liverpool.
The Daily Mail reported on Monday that the Barclays Premier League suitors had made further checks on the 21-year-old Uruguayan international, moving ahead of the likes of Barcelona and Real Madrid in the race to land his signature.
Ramirez broke into the national squad last year but missed out on his country's successful Copa America campaign last summer, and for that reason is said to be keen to move to a major European club in order to secure his long term international future.
With Reds boss Kenny Dalglish looking to add to a growing contingent of South American stars at Anfield - having so far signed the likes of Luis Suarez and Sebastian Coates in the past 12 months - Ramirez has been lined up as a January recruit.
However, Diego Triguero has poured cold water on speculation his client is poised for a move to Liverpool when he spoke to the International Business Times.
"This is the first I have heard about it [when asked about Liverpool's interest]," said Triguero. "I have had no contact in regards to interest in Ramirez. No people have asked me about him yet."
With a valuation of around £15million, Ramirez is well within Liverpool's transfer budget, as Dalglish considers increasing the competition of his front line in the New Year, and the Reds chief will be looking to the likes of Suarez and Coates to sell the club to their countryman and persuade him that his future lies at Anfield.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms