Southend slip sends Crawley top


Crawley took over as leaders in Npower League Two thanks to a comprehensive win at home to Burton Albion and Southend's loss away to Cheltenham.

The Shrimpers were looking for their sixth away win on the spin, but those hopes were extinguished by the in-form Robins, who secured a 3-0 win thanks to goals from Jimmy Spencer, Russell Penn and Marlon Pack.

That was the side's fifth victory in a row as they closed to within one point of their opponents. Manager Mark Yates said: “It was a really good performance against a really good team. My boys have been great again and we've just got to keep going.”

Crawley were always in control as they took Burton apart 3-0. Jamaican international Claude Davis fired home from just outside the box to open the scoring before Aaron Webster put the ball in his own net to make it 2-0. Matt Tubbs got the goal of the game with a fine effort from 30 yards to secure the win for Steve Evans' Red Devils.

James Hanson earned Bradford a vital 1-1 draw at the death in their relegation battle with Plymouth. Craig Sutherland had put Argyle ahead with a scrappy effort that marked his first goal for the club.

Dagenham and Redbridge are now bottom of the league after Port Vale came from behind to beat them 2-1 and condemn them to a ninth straight defeat.

The Daggers went ahead thanks to Brian Woodall’s first half goal, but Jennison Myrie-Williams cancelled the lead out a minute later and Guy Madjo grabbed the winner in the second-half.

Aidy Bothroyd’s first game in charge of Northampton ended in a 1-1 draw at home to Crewe. Adebayo Akinfenwa scored his 100th career goal to put the Cobblers in-front before Byron Moore’s equaliser gave Crewe a point.

Struggling Hereford lost 3-2 to Rotherham in a cracker at Edgar Street. The Millers were two goals to the good thanks to Johnny Mullins and Alex Revell, but Yoann Arquin struck from long-range and Delroy Facey levelled matters before the break. Mullins got his second of the day after the break, meaning Rotherham left with the points.

Aldershot claimed their first win for a month as Luke Guttridge scored to beat Shrewsbury 1-0, whilst Kevin Nicholson’s goal in the 94th minute meant Torquay overcame Barnet by the same score.

Accrington Stanley won their first away game of the season as Padraig Amond and Craig Lindfield tapped in identical goals to ensure AFC Wimbledon went an eighth game without a win.

Swindon extended their unbeaten run to 14 games after drawing 1-1 with Bristol Rovers. Paolo Di Canio’s side were heading for victory after Paul Caddis’s run and shot put them ahead but Danny Woodards nicked a point for Rovers with a header two minutes from time.

Macclesfield and Gillingham played out a stalemate thanks to an inspired performance from Silkmen keeper Jose Veiga, who made a string of good saves, whilst Morecambe and Oxford also drew 0-0 and ended United’s run of five defeats in a row.

News Now - Sport News