Royals' winning run ends at Donny

Published Add your comment

Football News

Reading missed the chance to draw level on points with Championship leaders Southampton as they were held to a draw by struggling Doncaster.

An El-Hadji Diouf cross was squeezed home by Kyle Bennett to put the hosts in front before an Alex Pearce header just after half-time restored parity. Reading had dominated the opening exchanges, with Ian Harte's dead-ball delivery causing problems for Carl Ikeme and the Doncaster defence. However, against the run of play Donny took the lead after 27 minutes, Bennett converting at the back post with their first meaningful attack of the game.

Ikeme's goal came under intense pressure for much of the second-half but the Royals couldn't find a winner. The final whistle saw Reading's eight-game winning streak come to an end but Brian McDermott's side have played their way into the automatic promotion picture.

Elsewhere, Birmingham lost to Leicester 3-1 at the King Power Stadium while Cardiff's Carling Cup hangover continued, the Bluebirds going down 3-0 at home to Hull City.

Chris Hughton's Birmingham side had gone ahead through Wade Elliot's penalty but a Jermaine Beckford brace and Jeffrey Schlupp's second Championship goal of the season turned the score around for the Foxes.

In Wales, Malky Mackay cursed the decision to disallow Ben Turner's goal as his side crashed to painful 3-0 home defeat. Mackay was upset at several refereeing decisions but his side were out-played by an improving Hull.


Nick Barmby praised his team for producing their best performance of the season and they climbed back into the playoff places. A first half own-goal from McNaughton put the Tigers in front before goals from James Chester and Aaron Mclean sealed the win in the second-half.

At the other end of the table, Nottingham Forest were cruelly undone by a 90th minute Lewis Buxton goal. The 1-0 defeat leaves Forest just four points clear of the drop zone while Derby remain set for a mid-table finish.

Steve Cotterill had seen his team reduced to ten men just before they conceded, Marcus Tudguy given his marching orders after his tackle on Ben Davies prompted a second yellow card from referee Andy D'Urso.

Injury to Derby captain Shaun Barker led to 10 minutes of injury time and in the fifth minute, Buxton out-jumped the Forest defence to head home Davies' cross.

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

Leicester City
Doncaster Rovers
Ben Turner
Shaun Barker
Carl Ikeme
Lewis Buxton
Cardiff City
Ian Harte
El-Hadji Diouf
Ben Davies
Aaron Mclean
Kyle Bennett
Nottingham Forest
Jermaine Beckford
Hull City
James Chester

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again