Liverpool are holding talks with Wigan boss Roberto Martinez over the possibility of becoming the club’s new manager, according to Latics chairman Dave Whelan.
The Spaniard is currently on holiday in the Caribbean with his family but has taken time out of his break to talk to Liverpool’s owners Fenway Sports Group about the possibility of taking over at Anfield.
"I got a phone call this morning [Thursday] and Roberto was on his way to America. He's flying down to Miami and is meeting Liverpool now, as we speak," Whelan told ESPN.
"I didn't ask him what he has decided to do but I told him I wanted it sorted out sooner rather than later.
"If it's yes to Liverpool I will accept it and get on with life. But if it's no I'll be delighted.
"I would love him to stay, I hope he will stay but I told him I need an answer in the next seven days."
The former Swansea manager has been installed as the favourite to take over from Kenny Dalglish following the Scot’s departure earlier this month as the Merseyside club go about interviewing a wide range of candidates over the position.
Swansea’s Brendan Rodgers, Ajax’s Frank de Boer and Borussia Dortmund’s Jurgen Klopp have all turned down the opportunity to speak to the club’s American owners over the role, leaving Martinez as the favourite to land the job.
Andre Villas-Boas and Rafael Benitez are also said to be in the mix but Martinez is believed to be closing in on the job.
Martinez guided Wigan to safety in the Premier League this season with a game to spare, and picked up wins over Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool and Newcastle in the final games of the season to ensure their survival.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms