Fernando Torres has declared himself happy to stay with Chelsea next season, despite revealing after the Champions League final that he would be considering his future at the club.
Torres has endured a tumultuous time since swapping Anfield for Stamford Bridge back in 2011, and embarked upon a 1,000 minute league goal drought between September and March before finding the net against Aston Villa.
Since then the Spaniard looked to be finding a semblance of form, bagging a hat-trick against west London rivals QPR days after scoring a dramatic goal as Chelsea beat Barcelona in the semi-finals of the Champions League to set up a final date with Bayern Munich, which they won on penalties.
Torres was left out of the game in the Allianz Arena, with Didier Drogba leading the line and scoring the winning penalty along with Chelsea’s equaliser in normal time.
That prompted the £50 million striker to say after the game that he would hold talks with the club to define his role next season see if it is ‘worth’ him staying in west London after he was also denied the chance of taking a spot-kick in the dramatic shoot-out.
However with Drogba confirming he would leave after eight years with the club this summer, Torres is expected to be handed a regular starting role, and he says that he is happy to continue on with the Blues.
"My goal was to talk to them at the end of the season," Torres told his official website. "I needed to know what plans they had for me.
"We've talked and now I have no doubt what they expect of Fernando Torres. I just want to start already next season."
He added of Drogba’s departure: "Didier [Drogba] is a club legend and what he has decided is respectable.
"I can only wish him the best and I feel proud to have shared so much with him.
"I want to play with the best and he is one of the best. I do not understand why it has to be one or the other and not both."
Speaking out about the stories which followed his interview after Saturday’s game, Torres denied that he ever wanted to leave the club.
"At Chelsea I am very happy and I never said the opposite," the striker explained. "I still have a lot to do in this club, meet personal goals, confidence to return.
"It has been a difficult year, I didn't play much and my mind was like a roller coaster.
"I felt bad, very bad and I would not like to feel that way again. But I have never surrendered and I never will."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms