Arsene Wenger has confirmed that Abou Diaby will be out of action for around three weeks after the Frenchman limped off in Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat against Chelsea on Saturday.
Diaby, who only returned from a hip complaint for the Gunners 1-1 draw with Manchester City last month, has struggled with injury for the majority of his Arsenal career.
The Frenchman has made just 87 league starts since joining the club from Auxerre in 2006, and played just five times in the 2011/12 season because of a thigh strain.
After the defeat against Chelsea, which ended Arsenal’s unbeaten start to the Premier League season, Wenger said he expected Diaby to be out of action for three weeks, a diagnosis he has now confirmed.
The 26-year-old will miss Arsenal’s Champions League tie against Olympiakos on Wednesday but could be targeting a return for the European tie against Schalke later this month.
Speaking ahead of the game at the Emirates, Wenger also confirmed that Mikel Arteta could also be absent as he undergoes tests on an ankle injury picked up against Chelsea.
"Arteta will have a test tomorrow on an ankle injury. Diaby is out with a thigh injury," he said.
Jack Wilshere, who played 62 minutes in his comeback from a 14 month injury lay-off this week is unlikely to feature any time soon, while Wenger confirmed Wojciech Szcesny is still some way away from being match fit.
"We are pleased with Wilshere, but we will take it slowly. He is exceptionally happy. Szczesny will be two or three weeks still."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms