Andre Villas-Boas is set to be handed a multi-million pound budget to chase his preferred transfer targets in January as reward for his success so far at Tottenham, according to the Evening Standard.
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy looked to be backing Villas-Boas in the summer transfer market over after reportedly agreeing fees in the region of £30 million for Porto’s Joao Moutinho and Willian from Shakhtar Donetsk.
However neither player ended up at Tottenham as both deals failed to beat the clock on deadline day, leaving the north London outfit looking a little short on quality following the sales of Luka Modric and Rafael Van der Vaart.
Spurs did manage to conclude deals for Hugo Lloris and Clint Dempsey on deadline day, while also landing the likes of Gylfi Sigurdsson, Jan Vertonghen, Emmanuel Adebayor and Mousa Dembele in the summer window however.
After a shaky start, Villas-Boas has led Spurs to four straight Premier League wins that have lifted them up to 5th in the league, with their 2-0 win over Aston Villa at White Hart Lane on Sunday meaning they haven’t tasted defeat since the opening day of the season.
Now the Evening Standard reports the Tottenham boss will be backed in the January transfer in order to help him bolster his squad and push for a top four finish – although top target Moutinho may be out of reach.
Villas-Boas identified the Porto midfielder as the man to take over from the Real Madrid-bound Modric but missed out on his man by minutes, although since then £15 million man Dembele has stepped up admirably and filled the role.
The Standard report that another attempt to take Willian to White Hart Lane could be on the cards, while Ajax’s Christian Eriksen and AZ Alkmaar’s Adam Maher are on Tottenham’s radar.
One area Tottenham did look short in was in the striker department, where at one point Jermain Defoe represented their only attacking option.
However after the arrival of both Emmanuel Adebayor, who made his loan move at Tottenham permanent from Manchester City, and Clint Dempsey from Fulham, Villas-Boas may decide he has enough options up front.
Adebayor made his return from a hamstring injury having been out of action for around a month in Tottenham’s win over Villa on Sunday, and Villas-Boas says he is delighted to have the Togolese striker back and raring to go.
“It was a big boost for us to have Adebayor coming back to fitness against Villa,” he said.
“You could see his quality when he came on. There is more competition for spots now and that will push everyone’s game up to another level.
“Adebayor has confidence and you can tell he enjoys the game. He is someone who is very talented on the ball and he is also an unselfish player.
“If he can give someone a goalscoring opportunity, he will always play him in.
“He does a good job keeping possession and he always works really hard for the team.
“It’s great to have a player of his quality and it is fun for the rest of the team to play with someone like that.”
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms