Manchester United suffer setback in £65m Ronaldo pursuit

GiveMeSport

Manchester United are ready to step up their interest in re-signing Cristiano Ronaldo and want to unveil him on August 8 – but the Portuguese star is contemplating extending his stay at Real Madrid.

Ronaldo had previously hinted he wouldn’t extend his current contract which expires in two years’ time, amidst rumours Manchester United were keen on luring the £80 million man back.

According to the Sun, the Red Devils want to pay around £65 million to secure the 28-year-olds services before August 8 and play him in Rio Ferdinand’s testimonial against Sevilla one day later.

However Real Madrid president Florentino Perez says he is confident that Ronaldo is going nowhere, and the player himself has hinted he is more likely to stay put at the Bernabeu than head back to Old Trafford.

The former Sporting Lisbon ace said: “I’m calm. I’m not worried about it, I know we are going to reach an agreement to sign a new deal and for that if I am honest, I’m not preoccupied about it.”

In order to stay in Spain, Ronaldo is said to have demanded an eye-watering £35 million-per-year as well as retaining his image rights.

Manchester United fans will be disheartened to hear Ronaldo talk up the prospect of signing a new deal at Madrid – although the Sun claim that they plan to pay Ronaldo £300,000-per-week to make him the best-paid player in England and that may be enough to get the deal done.

 

News Now - Sport News