New Manchester City recruit Fernandinho has claimed he was wanted by Chelsea and Tottenham before eventually joining Manuel Pellegrini’s side this summer.
According to Goal.com, the Brazilian midfielder stated that Spurs were keen to sign him 12 months ago while Chelsea and Shakhtar Donetsk held negotiations before City swooped.
City, under new boss Pellegrini, moved quickly to wrap up a £35m deal for the Brazilian midfielder.
But the 28-year-old claims Chelsea and Spurs were both eager to bring him to the Premier League before he made the switch this summer.
“I know there were negotiations between Shakhtar and Chelsea,” said Fernandinho. “I don’t know the details of those talks because I had already starting speaking with City.
“Shakhtar made it clear that I was coming to Manchester. They told me that they had refused an offer. There was also a stage a year ago when I spoke to people from Tottenham but nothing came of that.”
The Brazilian joined City in June, and could make his Premier League bow for the 2011-12 champions against Newcastle on Monday evening.
He’s one of four high-profile summer captures for the Etihad Stadium side, along with Jesus Navas, Alvaro Negredo and Stevan Jovetic.
Tottenham have been busy themselves this off-season, snapping up two centre midfielders in a similar mould to the Brazilian – Etienne Capoue from Toulouse and Paulinho from Corinthians.
Chelsea, under Jose Mourinho, signed Marco Van Ginkel from Vitesse Arnhem to supplement their central midfield options - Frank Lampard, Ramires and John Obi Mikel.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms