Three wins with three clean sheets. By beating Manchester United 1-0 at Anfield, this season has so far became Liverpool's best Premier League start ever and the prospect of winning the league looks to be doable this season-as long as the team plays with the same intensity consistently throughout the season.
Despite Suarez not making an appearance on the pitch at all for the past three games, Liverpool are more disciplined than ever, driven by the in-form Daniel Sturridge, who has continued his amazing Liverpool career since the start of the year.
So, the main question now is, will Liverpool be able to win their first ever English Premier League title?
While many journalists are expecting a mid-table finish for Liverpool and that Chelsea would turn out to be champions this time round, there are still so many reasons why Liverpool might just go ahead and do it this time round. Here are three reasons why:
(1) No European Distraction
- Whenever it comes European action, every team wants to be at their best. As a result, Man United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City will rest most of their key players over the weekend to keep them fit for the mid-week action. With Liverpool, they are only in the run for the Capital One Cup, FA Cup and the EPL. It will be purely domestic and as a result, the depth of the team will not be an issue as long as everyone stays fit in the team.
(2) Luis Suarez & Daniel Sturridge
- With Daniel Sturridge producing the goods at the moment, Suarez's return might prove to be vital as strikers are bound to meet droughts at some point of the season. Hence, with Suarez sticking around instead of leaving for Arsenal for 40 million pounds, the strikers are easily interchangeable in being the main marksman for Liverpool.
(3) Steven Gerrard Retirement
- A long time Liverpool servant, Gerrard has left behind a legacy in the modern Liverpool football game. With Jamie Carragher retiring from the game last season, it will be only the matter of time before the Kop's captain hangs his boots and that nothing will be more satisfying than finally winning the league. Having the Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup winners medal already, winning the EPL will finally make his trophy cabinet complete. It would be a fitting tribute to his final hurrah at Liverpool and that he can leave the club peacefully.
These are the three main reasons why Liverpool might just do it this year. While the odds are still against them, Liverpool have to keep it tight all the way to the end. Early pace-setters often do not win the league(most of the time) and that they have to be wary about it and not be complacent about their league position. However, the fact is that other title challengers have just had a switch of managerial position(Chelsea's Mourinho included as not all 11 players are the one he left behind) and that this might well be the best chance for Liverpool to snatch it away from their title challengers.
Expect Liverpool to perform this season. Whether they will turn out to be the victor or challenger remains to be seen. However, expect them to go far this season.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: https://gms.to/130seMa
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms