Police injured & fans arrested after Cup derby

Published Add your comment

Football News

Bristol City’s derby match against Bristol Rovers descended into chaos last night, with multiple arrests and police officers injured following the 2-1 win for the Robins against the Pirates.

Ex-Arsenal starlet Jay Emmanuel-Thomas opened the scoring for the hosts at Ashton Gate, before Mark McChrystal grabbed an equaliser for Rovers.

Local lad Joe Bryan scored the winner for City, but it was the crazy scenes after the final whistle that stole the headlines.

Both managers condemned the actions of the fans, as the home supporters crowded around the visiting Rovers fans. Riot police were quickly deployed to try and prevent the trouble, but suffered injuries of their own as 12 supporters were arrested.

More fights broke out after the match on the streets, and a mini-bus full of Rovers fans was pelted with stones in scenes reminiscent of football in the 80s.

It's a shame that, after a compelling Cup tie between two local rivals, some supporters decided to ruin what was a fantastic evening.

Watch the video of the riot police being called into action at the top of this story...

Bristol City
Bristol Rovers

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again