On September 14 at the MGM Grand, Las Vegas, two unbeaten boxing stars Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather and Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez are meeting in the biggest fight of the year.
Somebody has to lose for the first time....
Keys to Victory
Saul Alvarez 42(30)-0-1:
• Head movement - Too often Canelo is too easy to hit, and with Mayweather’s renowned accuracy he can’t give him as many opportunities to counter punch.
• Weight advantage - Although he has to adhere to a catchweight at the weigh-in, come fight time Canelo will easily outweigh Floyd by up to 15lbs, he has to use this to bully Floyd and tire him when they are up close and leaning on each other.
• Cutting off the ring - Mayweather is so elusive and quick around the ring, one of the key things for Canelo, who will be the aggressor, will be how successful he can be at pinning Floyd down and getting his shots off.
• Picking the right shots - He can’t waste energy on pointless shots, this fight will likely go twelve rounds and Floyd doesn’t get hit often so he needs to use the jab coming in, De La Hoya and Cotto have both proved that is key to having some success, then look for body shots up close to slow him down.
• Patience - This is Alvarez’s toughest fight so far, and Mayweather will be tricky and elusive, so Canelo needs to stick to his gameplan and try and wear Floyd down, not start jumping in because he will be picked apart.
Floyd Mayweather 44(26)-0:
• Experience - Canelo has had 43 fights but this is a whole new level for him, Mayweather is an expert at handling these occasions. He has the best ring craft in the world and will have to use it to keep his heavier, slower opponent constantly on the move.
• Speed - He has the faster hands and will need to use them to good effect. Getting off quick combinations and different angles to slow up Canelo’s march forward.
• Control the pace of the fight - Floyd himself likes to fight at a certain tempo which he tends to dictate in his fights. But, he could also up the pace at times because there are doubts over Alvarez’s fitness and Mayweather’s condition is always excellent.
• Footwork - Alvarez will try to pin him against the ropes and in the corners and tee off but Floyd will have to use his supreme footwork to escape the Mexican and attack from a different angle.
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: https://gms.to/130seMa
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms