Catania defender Nicolas Spolli has claimed that he rejected interest in Tottenham this summer in order to remain in Serie A.
30-year-old Spolli, who arrived at Stadio Angelo Massimino from Argentinian outfit Newell's Old Boys in 2009, was reportedly the subject of a £7 million bid from the North London outfit shortly prior to the close of the transfer window but did not make the move to the Premier League.
And now Spolli, whose club are currently languishing in the relegation zone following consecutive defeats at the start of the 2013/14 campaign, has revealed that he is content with life in Catania despite the interest from Spurs.
"At the end of last season I met with the president," the Argentine told La Sicilia. "I told him, if he agreed, that I would like to stay in Catania. The team knew my desire - it was not news when we received the request from Tottenham.
"In Catania I'm fine, it's a beautiful city. When you have free time it is amazing to be able to enjoy both Mount Etna and the sea."
Spurs were incredibly active during this summer's market, smashing their own transfer record on three separate occasions in an attempt to minimise the potential devastation caused by Gareth Bale's eventual world-record move to Spanish giants Real Madrid.
In addition to the £26 million capture of Spanish striker Roberto Soldado, Andre-Villas Boas' men also secured deals for Belgian starlet Nacer Chadli, French midfielder Etienne Capoue, Brazilian international Paulinho, Roma attacker Erik Lamela, Romanian defender Vlad Chiriches and former Ajax playmaker Christian Eriksen.
Spurs, who return to action after the international break against Chris Hughton's Norwich City on Saturday, currently occupy sixth place in the Premier League after two wins from three games so far this season.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms