Over the years, Arsenal have had some bad shirts but also their fair share of good ones. I'm have been looking back at the various designs and picked out my top ten. Enjoy.
10. 1986 Home Shirt. This classic design with the red shirt with white sleeves is classy and stylish, whilst the "1986 Century Year" embroidery over the famous cannon makes it memorable.
9. 2002 Away Shirt. This unique shirt from Nike is one that sticks out in the memory for two reasons: the fact that it's gold in colour and that Sylvain Wiltord wore it for his goal at Old Trafford to give Arsenal the double. The last Gunners' away shirt to include the old Arsenal crest with the cannon the "right way round" according to many fans. Defiantly one that goes down in history.
8. 1992 Home Shirt. This design from Adidas was worn my the likes of Wright, Rocastle and Adams. In a not so memorable season for Arsenal, this shirt certainly stood out. With the Adidas stripes on the sleeves and the 'AFC' stitching on the collar, this shirt is one of my personal favourites.
7. 1993 Away Shirt. The 'Bruised Banana' shirt from Adidas certainly defines eye-catching! The yellow and green design is either one that you love or hate. Made famous in the League Cup and FA Cup double winning season, the shirt is still worn by many fans at matches today.
6. 1971 Away. This classic Arsenal away shirt is associated with the famous 1971 FA Cup win over Liverpool and Charlie George's infamous celebration. The yellow with blue trim is one that's design is still frequently implemented on modern shirts. In the days when there were no shirt sponsors or manufactures, this was a gem and still is in my opinion.
5. 2004 Away. A famous shirt for a famous season. This shirt was a modern update of the 1979 shirt worn in Arsenal's FA Cup final win over Manchester United. Worn in the Invincible season, the Arsenal team never lost when playing in this shirt. Many fans' favourite away shirt.
4. 1989 Home. This design is either loved or hated by Arsenal fans but I think it's one of the nicest in the club's history. The plain red and white deign with the Adidas stripes on the sleeves works wonders. Truly stunning.
3. 2004 Home. The 'Invincibles' shirt. The perfect league season was made extra special with arguably the best modern home shirt. Crisp and classic with modern touches from Nike make is stand out from most other Arsenal home shirts. Worn by the likes of Thierry Henry, Dennis Bergkamp and Robert Pires, this shirt will go down in Arsenal history for many reasons.
2. 1989 Away. Two words, Michael Thomas. The shirt in which Arsenal won the league title at Anfield in the last minute. My favourite Arsenal away shirt. A traditional yellow and blue design by Adidas. Nothing more can be said, it is perfect down to the last detail.
1. 1970 Home. The staple for all Arsenal shirts - the famous shirt worn by Liam Brady and Charlie George is still worn by fans at the Emirates. The red and white shirt with the one cannon logo on the left chest is beautiful. Nothing more can be said - the greatest.
Thanks for reading. I'd recommend to look up photos of each shirt to judge for yourself. What's your favourite Arsenal shirt?
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: https://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms