Newly instated Eintracht Frankfurt coach Thomas Schaaf has expressed his excitement about joining the club.
Schaaf was announced as the new Eintracht Frankfurt manager on Wednesday afternoon, after signing a two-year contract at the Bundesliga club.
The former Werder Bremen manager who has been out of work for a year will take over the reins from VfB Stuttgart bound Armin Veh.
The 53 year old managed Bremen from 1999 to 2013, before stepping down last year, having steered the club to Bundesliga survival.
Schaaf guided the River-Islanders to an historic Bundesliga and DFB Pokal cup double in 2004, as well as securing a the club a Champions League last-16 berth in 2005 and 2006.
The former defender has not played for or managed another team outside Bremen, but says that he is looking forward to the new experience.
He said: “I stayed for a long time at one club, another chapter has now opened up in my life, and I now can’t wait to get started.”
The 53 year olds appointment might come as something of a surprise, with the board having interviewed the 2012 Champions League winning coach, Roberto Di Matteo and former Real Madrid manager Bernd Schuster in recent weeks.
However, it is believed that Schaaf’s extensive knowledge of the Bundesliga was the deciding factor in his appointment as Veh’s successor.
The former Werder Bremen manager’s attacking philosophy was also another factor in handing him the post with the Hessen based club striving for European glory having had a sniff at the Europa League last season.
The Mannheim born coach has studied his new team during his year-long sabbatical and suggest that the Eintracht Frankfurt are heading in the right direction in an attempt to fulfil their goals.
He said: “It is clear to say which direction Eintracht Frankfurt are heading in. They have grown as as a team, and are playing an exciting brand of football.”
“That is where I come in. I hope that we continue heading in this route, and I hope that we can advance as a team.”
However, questions have also been asked in which way the Eagles are heading both financially and expansively, with the club looking trimmer and weaker every week.
Eintracht Frankfurt will have to start the season without their former captain Pirmin Schwegler and midfielder Sebastian Rode who have moved to TSG Hoffenheim and Bayern Munich respectively.
It also seems that striker Joselu who has scored 14 goals for Eintracht Frankfurt during his loan spell from TSG Hoffenheim this season will also be heading back to his mother club, whilst the future regarding Swiss midfielder Tranquillo Barnetta is also up in the air.
It is understood that the club won’t be able to offer Schaaf much money in order to buy new expensive recruits, but the ecstatic coach believes that there is still enough time to remedy this problem.
He said: “We have to play it carefully. Of course the power lies with Bruno Hubner and the hierarchy to make desciuons about money and which and how many players we will be able to get in. The future looks bright.”
Write for GiveMeSport! Sign-up to the GMS Writing Academy here: https://gms.to/1a2u3KU
DISCLAIMER: This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of GiveMeSport.com or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. GiveMeSport.com and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms