Padraig Harrington blog: FedEx St Jude Classic review

Published Add your comment

Football News

When I arrive at a tournament on a Monday evening, the week often flies by. However, this week was very different! With so many storm delays, it was extremely draining and the stop-start nature of the event made it difficult to build any momentum.To finish on the Sunday afternoon was nothing short of a miracle, as a Monday finish loomed on the horizon from the get-go. 

What started to look like being a good week, quickly turned into a miserable affair. To start my third round inside the top ten and finish in a tie for sixty-fifth highlighted the poor final two rounds.

With the course playing firm and fast, I opened up with a two under par 68, which I felt was a really good score; especially considering the gusty conditions. However, not long after I finished a storm rolled in and softened the course up significantly.

A damp track accompanied by the disappearance of any wind left TPC Southwind there for the taking. And, whilst I did benefit from these conditions during my second round, my putter was hampering me from shooting a low score that would have propelled me to the summit of the leaderboard.

Nevertheless, I still found myself inside the top ten and when my third round begun on Saturday evening I was feeling good. I started solidly with a couple of pars followed by a two putt birdie on the third. However, a poor tee shot on the fourth found the water and cost me a dropped shot. I found myself level standing on the ninth tee, when I hit a poor drive into the rough and then found the water with my second.

It came out softer from the rough than both Ronan and I expected, and with another shot dropped the hooter sounded for another imminent storm which also brought the days play to a close.

I started Sunday morning terribly by taking three from the edge of the tenth and eleventh holes. I then hit my tee shot in the water on twelve and from then on it was a real struggle. My swing felt out of sorts and I struggled with my pre-shot routines.

I bogeyed the last after finding the water again and signed for a disappointing 79. I was then back on the tee for my final round 20 minutes later, which is never ideal when you’re struggling to find a swing.I managed to hit a few shots with Pete on the range in between rounds but it simply wasn’t enough.

My final 18 holes felt a little better; however, I still struggled with my routines. I felt like I was stationed over the ball for a long time and this was cluttering my thought process. I signed for a two over par 72; the end of a long week.

I have a couple of corporate outings at Royal Liverpool Golf Club before I fly home on Thursday for a few days’ rest. I will certainly be watching the US Open and like The Masters, it will be strange not to be there.

Talk soon,

Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE:

US Open Golf

Article Comments

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again

Like our GiveMeSport Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to G+, don't ask me again