At first we thought - it’s needless, what is the point? It would distract me.
Now we’re thinking - I have to do it, who should I put in? Is he worth the money? Is this his year?
We’re talking about Fantasy Football, of course. The question isn’t ‘why' are you making a team, but ‘when’ are you making a team? Football fiends have simply gone bananas over it.
The rise of the game in recent years has been astronomical and some fans are more concerned about how their fantasy team is getting on, than the team they pay to see every week.
Fantasy Footy in numbers
What we’re about to say might startle you, or not. Others might think some of these things will apply to them - and are then forced to give life a huge rethink. There’s a high chance it will be the latter, one predicts.
Yahoo Sports have kindly given us some of their research into the immensely addictive game. In a survey involving 1000 fantasy football players from the UK, France, Italy, Spain and Germany, here are six facts (fasten your seat belts please):
- Over a third (35%) of UK fantasy football players admit they have wanted the team they support to either lose or concede a goal so that they can score more fantasy points.
- Nearly a third (32%) of UK fantasy footballers refuse to pick players from a rival club to the team they support in real life.
- 20% of UK players have stopped a car during a journey and more than one in ten (14%) have lied to a loved one in order to change a fantasy team.
- One in five Brits (22%) update their fantasy team on the toilet.
- 25% of Italian fantasy football players have made their changes on the beach.
- (In an attempt save the best till last) 30% of fantasy football players across Europe have left a night out with family or friends early in order to change their team.
You know who you are.
But we're kind at GiveMeSport, so in order to give you a head start on the competition, these are the top five selected players so far, the overall percentage of teams selected and why...
- Wayne Rooney (44.9%): Louis Van Gaal’s new captain seems to be the main man at United, and should be the first name on his team sheet every week.
- Aaron Ramsey (33.8%): Purely on last season’s form you would have thought (before his injury) and his finish against Manchester City in this year’s Community Shield.
- Diego Costa (32.5%): Surely Chelsea’s best option upfront, he also bagged a couple of goals in a pre-season game last week.
- Dejan Lovren (32.7%): Defender’s are normally a lottery, however Liverpool’s new signing seems exceptionally popular.
- Daniel Sturridge (29.8%): With no Luis Suarez about, he will Liverpool's main goalscoring threat. Scored heaps of goals last year.
Best of luck to you all and remember, ensure you make the appropriate changes by ANY means necessary - even if you're on the toilet.
Yahoo! Fantasy Football App
So if you fancy getting involved (what, you're not already!), here's the info...
The new Yahoo Fantasy Football app allows users to play and manage teams across all five of the major European domestic leagues – Premier League, Ligue 1, La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A.
It also features real-time points updates so users can see how their team is performing during the match.
To sign up, go to https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/fantasy/soccer/premier-league/ or download the app now for Android and iOS.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms