Louis van Gaal has been reduced to begging with Manchester United officials to complete big transfer deals between now and the end of the transfer window, reports The Sunday Mirror.
The Dutchman got his reign at Old Trafford off to the worst possible start, managing Manchester United to a shock 2-1 defeat to Swansea City. Having signed just two players this summer in Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw, the loss highlighted Manchester United's shortcomings.
Begging for talent
Now Van Gaal has told Manchester United officials, such as vice chairman Ed Woodward that the situation is becoming critical. He has told them to secure big transfer deals in the last two weeks of the window or risk another bad season.
Van Gaal hinted that deals are in the offing after the game yesterday, suggesting the defeat to the Welsh club came as no surprise.
'I knew that'
He told reporters: “It is not a question of whether we need more players because I knew that before this game.
“I said the same when we were winning games in the US – and I know what positions we need those players in. But you have to buy only when the player can fulfil the way of playing that I ask.
“We have to wait and see. We could have won today also.
“But, especially in the first half, I saw a lot of players who were very nervous and making the wrong choices.
The biggest problem for Van Gaal and Manchester United appears to be the central defence. Both Marcos Rojo and Mehdi Benatia are on the shortlist but deals for both are littered with complications.
The former has handed in a transfer request, but Manchester United have been told to up their £17 million to £24 million. Meanwhile AS Roma manager Rudi Garcia has already suggested Benatia won't be leaving the Italian capital this summer.
Failure to launch
It is a surprising situation that Manchester United find themselves in. Van Gaal was supposed to come in and revolutionise the squad with major changes. Players were supposed to be coming in with many going out, but so far there has been a lack of activity.
The mega transfer budget has gone pretty much untouched, although £60 million was committed to both Herrera and Shaw. Reports suggest that over £100 million could remain, yet targets are not arriving.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms