Arsenal have received a boost in their alleged pursuit of Manchester United and Liverpool target Marco Reus after Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke refused to rule out selling the player before the transfer window closes.
The London Metro reports how the Germany international has been heavily linked with a move away from the Bundesliga giants this summer after turning down the offer of a new contract at the Westfalenstadion.
A host of top European clubs are believed to be monitoring Reus's situation closely, but it's Gunners boss Arsene Wenger who is said to be leading the race to sign the 25-year-old.
Not content with the high-profile capture of Chilean winger Alexis Sanchez from Barcelona, the Frenchman is eager to add the Dortmund star to his ranks at the Emirates Stadium as Arsenal attempt to mount a serious Premier League title challenge this season.
Louis van Gaal has also been credited with an interest in bringing the player to Old Trafford, but along with Atletico Madrid the new Red Devils manager is understood to have failed in his attempts to negotiate a transfer so far.
According to the Daily Star, Liverpool have been mooted as admirers of the talented winger, who boasts a £27.9 million buyout cause in his current contract.
However, because of the fact that the aforementioned clause drops to £19.8 million next summer, the German club are said to be open to big offers for Reus now, before the forthcoming deadline in a little under two weeks time.
Brendan Rodgers might look to get in on the act with a bid for the player, as he continues to search for reinforcements at Anfield following the sale of Luis Suarez to Barcelona.
Premier League move?
The Reds boss has strengthened his attacking ranks with the capture of Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic and Divock Origi, but with the latter sent back on loan to Lille for the 2014/15 campaign there could still be an opening for Reus on Merseyside.
When questioned about the Dortmund vice-captain's future, Watzke was unconvincing in his response, fuelling speculation of a possible exit between now and September 1.
"We will have to wait and see whether we can keep hold of Marco," he told German newspaper Der Westen. "All I can say is that I know him really well and it's not about money with him."
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms