Mario Balotelli miss doesn't stop Liverpool beating QPR

Published 1 Comments

Football News

Liverpool were handed all three points by QPR defenders Richard Dunne and Steven Caulker as an own goal from each cost Harry Redknapp's men.

In a hectic finale that saw three goals scored in a five minute spell, Liverpool went 2-1 up to win 3-2. Caulker made the difference, deflecting Raheem Sterling's cross into the empty net with virtually the last kick of the match.

Related articles

- Ayew changes agent to ensure he lands big club
- Liverpool should have signed Icardi instead of Balotelli
- Carlo Ancelotti rules out Raheem Sterling transfer

The win certainly spared Mario Balotelli's blushes. The Italian striker had a dreadful game upfront for Liverpool, leaving fans fearing the worst as they wait for Daniel Sturridge to return to fitness.

Balotelli had seven shots on goal, but managed to test the goalkeeper on just two occasions. Despite frequently finding space, he looked far from dangerous for Brendan Rodger's men and even missed what appeared to be an open goal.

You can see the worst of Balotelli's misses by clicking here

"We're still in shock to be honest. We're very lucky today" - Steven Gerrard

However, it should be noted that if Dunne had not scored an own goal, Balotelli would have been there to tap it in. That won't change the stats though, which shows the £16 million summer signing as having scored no goals in six Premier League appearances.

Captain Steven Gerrard admitted that Liverpool were fortunate to leave Loftus Road with the spoils and admits his team must improve if they are to meet expectation this season.

"We're still in shock to be honest. We're very lucky today," Gerrard told Sky Sports. "We would have had no complaints if we came away with nothing, we would have no complaints if we came away with a point. I think we're very lucky to come away with three points.

"Our performance needs to be better. I think the only credit we can give ourselves is that we never give up and keep going to the end. We got rewarded in the end for hanging in and staying in the game but all around it needs improving."

Stoke City 1-1 Swansea City

The opening half at the Britannia Stadium was marked in controversy as referee Michael Oliver awarded a penalty to both teams. Ryan Shawcross was rightly punished for wrestling Wilfried Bony to the floor, who retaliated by converting the resulting penalty.

Stoke's penalty, however, was far more dubious as Victor Moses appeared to go down virtually unchallenged against Angel Rangel. Charlie Adam converted the spot kick.

Mark Hughes's men took advantage of their good fortune and came out in the second half with the intent to win. Substitute Jonathan Walters settled to tie with a header from inside the box with 14 minutes remaining.

Critics will point towards Lukasz Fabianski, who looked capable of saving of saving the looping header, only to let it slip by him.

Queens Park Rangers
Premier League
Stoke City

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again