Arsenal left embarrassed by determined Anderlecht

Published 1 Comments

Football News

A game between Anderlecht and Arsenal always provides us with a zesty treat towards the latter stages of the game as proved in the tie in Belgium, which saw Arsenal pinch a win with two goals in the last minute.

But Anderlecht's comeback in the return leg was absolutely criminal from the view of the Gunners who led by three goals with half an hour remaining.

A bright start foreshadowed a positive game for the home side, who were in good form off the back of a clinical 3-0 victory against Burnley in the Premier League at the weekend.

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain monotonously exploited the visitors from the very start on the right hand side, although his deliveries were all surprisingly poor.

Arsenal's pressure eventually paid off when Danny Welbeck was clumsily clipped on the ankles in the area, only for reliable penalty taker Mikel Arteta to convert from the spot.

related articles

The Gunners extended their lead  just four minutes later. Alexis Sanchez's free kick rebounded back out to the Chilean. He unleashed a beastly first time volley which rocketed into the bottom corner; too hot for Silvio Proto to handle.

With the away side showing no signs of a goal, Arsenal capitalised on this and carried their persistent attacking style into the second half which saw them score a third of the evening when Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain drove forward with his lightning pace to angle the ball directly into the bottom corner.

Sealed up

The game looked to be sealed up with approximately half an hour on the clock with Galatasaray also losing to Dortmund in Germany which meant that Arsenal would be progressing to the final 16 round of the tournament.

But Anthony Vanden Borre squeezed the ball in from close range almost immediately after the home side looked to have wrapped things, which certainly gave the visitors renewed hope.

The comeback

And an entertaining ending it was to be when Vanden Borre sealed his brace for the evening with a penalty after Aleksandar Mitrovic drew a foul in the area from Nacho Monreal, who dragged him to the ground in a rugby tackle fashion.

The Belgian side began to mount tons of pressure and their luck seemed to have reached the end of the line when Frank Acheampong clipped the top of the bar with a fierce strike.

"They worked so hard and we had to be patient but we got what we deserved in the end"


However, cast your mind back to a fortnight ago when Arsenal broke the hearts of Anderlecht. Well, it was time to get revenge on the Gunners when a delicious delivery was perfectly headed home into the bottom corner by Aleksandar Mitrovic to rescue a more than vital point for the visitors.

"I cannot express my delight for the players tonight. They worked so hard and we had to be patient but we got what we deserved in the end" said Anderlecht boss, Besnik Hasi.

UEFA Champions League
European News

Read more

Report author of article

Please let us know if you believe this article is in violation of our editorial policy, please only report articles for one of the following reasons.

Report author


This article has been written by a member of the GiveMeSport Writing Academy and does not represent the views of or SportsNewMedia. The views and opinions expressed are solely that of the author credited at the top of this article. and SportsNewMedia do not take any responsibility for the content of its contributors.

Want more content like this?

Like our GiveMeSport Facebook Page and you will get this directly to you.

Already Subscribed to Facebook, don't ask me again

Follow GiveMeSport on Twitter and you will get this directly to you.

Already Following, don't ask me again