If rumours that Arsene Wenger is searching for a world-class centre forward are proven to be true, then a man sitting at the top of his hit-list will be Porto’s Jackson Martinez.
The Colombia international has long been linked with a move to the Emirates Stadium, and has recently confirmed that he expects clubs to bid for him at the end of the season. As the goal-scoring credentials of Danny Welbeck remain suspect, the injury to Olivier Giroud keeps him out of contention and Alexis Sanchez is charged with finding the net in order to keep Arsenal’s waning title hopes alive, a transfer for Martinez increasingly makes sense.
Though he'd be a pricy buy - he's valued at as much as £30m - there's every chance he would find his feet quickly in the Premier League, with his recent track record in front of goal being as impressive as any that the striker's in England's top flight can boast.
Meanwhile the future of a player currently residing in north London appears to have been resolved, as Mikel Arteta is ready to pen a new one-year deal worth £60,000-a-week. The Spaniard’s future has been a subject of debate until now, but it looks as though he’s set to continue in Wenger’s fold.
- Thierry Henry should be the next Arsenal manager
- Luis Suarez relieved he did not join Arsenal
- Schalke eye Andre Schurrle to replace Julian Draxler
Though it was initially expected that this season could be the last for the Gunners captain Wenger appears keen to firm up his future quickly, and the ex-Everton playmaker won't be going anywhere until at least 2016.
- Elsewhere Luis Suarez has claimed that Steven Gerrard stopped him from joining Arsenal prior to his move to Barcelona. The Uruguay star has revealed a conversation wherein Gerrard told him to wait until this summer to move rather than leaving Liverpool last year.
- Lukas Podolski appears to have confirmed that he's unhappy at Arsenal, and he could leave in January as a result. The German international reiterated that he was less than pleased with being kept on the bench persistently.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms