Former Baltimore Ravens running back Ray Rice has pleaded for a ‘second chance’ in a TV interview for NBC’s Today Show in front of his wife Janay Rice and her parents.
The New York born player was indefinitely suspended on September 8 after violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy following the leak of a video of him hitting and knocking out his then fiancé, Janay.
Rice is eligible
It was revealed last week that Rice won his appeal of indefinite suspension and was reinstated in to the National Football League (NFL).
The appeal means that the 27-year-old is eligible to play for any NFL team that wants him. Rice was asked what factors a potential team would have to consider before signing him.
What Rice had to say
The three-time Pro Bowler said on Today: “They would have to be willing to look deeper into who I am and realise that me and my wife had one bad night, and I took full responsibility for it.
- Ray Rice drawing interest from New Orleans Saints and three others
- NFL fan tweets Ray Rice picture and immediately regrets it
- Ray Rice wins court battle against NFL
“One thing about my punishment and everything going along with anything that happened is that I've accepted it. I went fully forward with it. I never complained, or I never did anything like that.
“I took full responsibility for everything that I did, and the only thing I can hope for and wish for is a second chance.”
ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Ed Werder have reported that four NFL teams have expressed interest in the controversial running back, the teams include: the Colts, Saints, Cardinals and one other.
It has also come to light that an unnamed source - who is supposedly close to Rice - has said that the priority is to have the player signed to a team by the weekend.
For certain, any team that lands the incredibly talented running back will take a lot of stick in the short-term and generate a shed load of bad PR, but surely it's only a matter of time before a franchise sees past his errors and benefit in the long-term.
Of course this type of omission of a player ‘with baggage’ isn’t just in the NFL. In soccer, former Sheffield United striker, Ched Evans, despite pleading his innocence, is struggling to find a club following his release from prison for rape.
Do YOU want to write for GiveMeSport? Get started today by signing-up and submitting an article HERE: https://www.givemesport.com/writeforgms